Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

How to Fix "Word experienced an error trying to open the file." error

if you are experiencing a problem in opening MS Office documents with this error:"Word experienced an error trying to open the file" or "Word has encountered a problem" while opening a document from your hard disk or Ms Outlook:







and if you have tried to open and repair the document but the error is still there, you will have to check the  "Protected view" settings in MS Office 2010 application..

Below are the steps..

  1. Run one of the Office 2010 application (e.g. Word 2010).
  2. Click on File menu, and select Options.
  3. In the “Options” dialog, select Trust Center in the left pane.
  4. Click on Trust Center Settings in the right pane.
  5. Select Protected View in the left pane of “Trust Center” dialog.
  6. Disable any of all of the protected view options as below by unticking the check boxes:
    • Enable Protected View for files that fail validation
    • Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet
    • Enable Protected View for files located in potentially unsafe locations
    • Enable Protected View for Outlook attachments


Ref :
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/12/29/how-to-disable-read-only-protected-view-in-office-2010/

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I thank you for this!

GooolTV said...

This worked great. I unchecked protected view just for Outlook attachments since a user got this error when opening word attachments sent from Macs I believe.

Unknown said...

Hey I had the same issue with my computer. I wasted my time on it for

many days but finally I got a solution from this link
http://www.microsoftliveassist.com/word-experienced-an-error/

Unknown said...

thank you and really appreciated